Thursday, August 29, 2013

Project Numero One

Throughout this first week in BDS, we've been discussing what "good design" consists of. We've been referring to Dieter Rams' Ten Principles of Good Design:

1. Good design is innovative
2. Good design is useful
3. Good design is aesthetic
4. Good design is understandable
5Good design is unobtrusive
6. Good design is honest
7. Good design is long-lasting
8. Good design is thorough down to last detail
9. Good design is environmentally friendly
10. Good design is simple

I've really enjoyed studying these ten principles. It's nice to have guidelines as far as designing goes. Although all these principles are valuable, I do have a couple favorites. The two that really stuck out to me are #3, good design is aesthetic, and #10, good design is simpleReally, they go hand-in-hand. The simplest designs are, most often, the most beautiful. 

So with that in mind, our first project was introduced. We will be creating a poster of a well-designed object. For the first week, we were asked to find five well-designed objects. I have sketched and photographed my five:

Thule Bookbag~
My Thule bookbag is really useful for day-to-day supplies. It has a special pocket for my glasses so they won't get smashed (BIG DEAL), a cushioned slot for my laptop, plenty of space, and a pocket for my water bottle.  
  • Useful for a number of things
  • Thorough and detailed
  • Unobtrusive
  • Long-lasting
  • Aesthetic with bright, fun colors


Vera Bradley All-In-One Wristlet~
This wallet seriously rocks. I can keep my phone, money, KU ID, and car keys all in it at once. All I have to bring when I leave to go somewhere is this wallet. No purse to worry about!
  • Useful (duhhhhhhhh)
  • Understandable-self explanatory
  • Long-lasting
  • Honest
  • Aesthetic 
CamelBak Water Bottle~
I take this lil' guy with my everywhere. It's so easy to carry around because of the freakishly convenient handle, and it's also spill proof. I spill everything so, that's neat. 
  • Useful
  • Environmentally Friendly
  • Long-lasting

Carolina Pad Planner~
Guys. I love planners. I really do. This planner is the top of the top though, really. I can write down everything I need to remember in here. It shows you week to week and also month to month. Every month there's a cute quote too, and I totally dig it.
  • Aesthetic
  • Useful
  • Unobtrusive
  • Understandable
Velocity Mechanical Pencil~
Okay. I know what you're thinking right now. Was this girl running out of ideas? Because that is a pencil. YOU CAUGHT ME. I was running out of ideas so I chose this, but the more I thought about it, the more I was like "Woah. This thing really is well-designed." Velocity pencils come with an entire package of extra lead and erasers so that they can last for 398409 years. They also have a cap to put over the eraser so that the eraser doesn't get all gross. AND the lead is super strong. Boom. 
  • Useful
  • Understandable
  • Long-lasting

I'm pretty pumped about this project. I'll keep you fellas updated on what's happening so stop your worrying. Happy Labor Day weekend!


Peace and blessins ladies and gents, peace and blessins <3














No comments:

Post a Comment