Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Project 2: Process Post 2

Hi there.

After beginning to think about symbols, icons, and indexes, I began to think about this project in actual space. Here are a few sketches of what I've been thinking:




























I decided to go forward with the last idea. The idea behind this concept was the most interesting to me. I'm using different typefaces to symbolize different parts of Charlie Parker's life. I decided to use the Rockwell for his early years, Bauer Bodoni for his musical 'birdie' years, and Helvetica Neue (ultra light) for his addiction at the end of his life that led him to his death. I have reasoning for selecting these specific typefaces for each time period. I chose Rockwell for his early years because Rockwell is a slab serif typeface, meaning that it has a consistent thickness between the serifs and the actual letter. There is not much variety to the slab serif typeface (not that that's a bad thing at all). I felt this was appropriate for Parker's early years when things were slow in his music and there was not much variety within much of his life. I chose Bauer Bodoni for his 'Birdie' musical boom days. Bauer Bodoni is a modern typeface. It has thick lines combined with thin lines, giving the typeface variety and a beautiful contrast. During this time, Parker had begun to be more and more famous and his music was making history. There was a lot of variety, and exciting things happening in his life. I chose Helvetica Neue (ultra light) for his addiction and death because the typeface is quite thin and has no serifs. It seems that Parker was beginning to diminish and his addictions were swallowing more and more of him as the days went by. It was like he was barely there, which is what the thin typeface symbolizes.

Each wall is dedicated to each of these typefaces, telling a different portion of his life. There is a giant pole right at the front of the room. This pole has a combination of all the typefaces I used throughout the room, and it holds the synopsis (to give viewers an initial introduction).

The walls have a lot going on within them. I think this represents the energy and life within Charlie Parker's music. I wanted to capture the feeling of his music with the design on each wall as well.



Here are some pictures of the model:






No comments:

Post a Comment