Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Dribblin'

Greetings!

Guess what? I'M DONE WITH MY THIRD PROJECT! Woooooooooo! I haven't posted an update on this project in a long time, so this is about to be one lengthy post (BUT SO WORTH IT DON'T LEAVE ME BECAUSE IT'S LONG).

When I last left you fellas, I was constructing my cardboard letters with my group. They turned out looking really cool. Here are some of the final pictures:






























How cool are they?! Taking pictures and installing them was a lot of fun. Obviously, we felt that Allen Fieldhouse (KU's basketball arena) was the most appropriate place for our letters. My group even got lucky enough to take a few pictures during the basketball team's practice. YEAH, WE DID THAT. AND I TALKED TO BILL SELF. IT WAS AWESOME. The last picture is one of the shots taken during their practice, and if you look closely, you can see Wiggins!!


Sooooooooooooooooo after constructing these letters we had one last portion for the project. Individually, we made a book that documented the definition of our group word (dribble). We did this by making sure the site photos, working photos, book structure, and page layout all contributed to the meaning of the word. Constructing this book was a lot harder than I had intended it to be. I was really stressed out about it for awhile, but things came through eventually.
Here are my three preliminary ideas for the book:

One-
 


Two-
















Three-


I ended up going with my second idea. I thought it was the most interesting out of the three. One of my classmates had the idea of attaching a 3d ball on the ends of the accordion. So immediately I was like, "OMG YEAH I HAVE TO DO THAT."
So I cut a tennis ball in half, painted it orange, and then drew black basketball lines on it. I know it sounds so easy, BUT THAT'S FUNNY BECAUSE IT'S NOT AT ALL. The basketball didn't turn out the way I really wanted it to, and I had a little bit of a breakdown. To overcome the frustrations with the book, I came to terms with the fact that not everything can be perfect at all times.

This is how the first attempt of my book looked like:
 

It didn't close up right, the circles were flimsy/falling apart, and it was hard to cut the circles out perfectly. I went and talked to my professor, and he gave me some great ideas on how to improve the book.

So here is my final attempt:

(front)
 (back)

Annnnnnnnnnnd...
BOOM! It closes correctly!

Also, I think we should all take a moment to appreciate this page in my process book:
Here's a zoomed in shot of the paragraph:
So much truth in that paragraph. Amiright?

This project was definitely a learning experience. The easiest portion, for me, was the cardboard letters. I had a fun group, and I was really happy with how well we worked together. The most difficult part of the project was creating the book. Brainstorming the idea of the book came naturally to me; however, constructing the book was not as easy as I had hoped. As an individual, I learned my strengths and weaknesses throughout this experience. Overall, the project has opened my eyes to many things. I have learned several things about who I am and where I stand as a designer. I’m looking forward to applying this new knowledge to projects in the future. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Worry is a misuse of your imagination."

No comments:

Post a Comment