Monday, February 24, 2014

Box Prototypes

Hello!


I've been working on some prototype ideas for my box. Last week, I came into class with these three ideas: 
















The one on the far left is a silhouette of a pointe shoe, the middle is the sole of the shoe, and the far right is a silhouette of a dancer's leg on pointe. I had liked these ideas, but I got some great feedback from my peers. After hearing what my teacher and peers had to say, I decided to not go with such a literal silhouette so see the shoes through.


I worked on a different prototype over the weekend and came up with this:
 

The silhouette cut out on the front of the box is the ribbon pattern of the shoes. When looking at a dancer's foot, this is what a viewer would see: triangle patterns. 

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, here is what the ribbons look like when pointe shoes are on a dancer's foot:
















See the pattern I'm referring to? I thought this idea was a little less literal than cutting out a dancer's foot or leg. I'm looking forward to getting started on this box. I will keep you all updated on how it's going!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 comments:

  1. Looks better. After looking at the photo, I wondered if the ribbon cut-outs should be a little higher or smaller. I also questioned the size of the bow, but it is hard to tell with the box sitting on the red rug and red tape. Are you thinking Walnut (darkest) or Cherry (medium dark)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I think the cut outs should definitely be a little smaller. After I put the box together, I thought they looked a little too large. I'm leaning towards Walnut wood. I want to have some contrast between the light pointe shoes and a darker wood.

    ReplyDelete