Thursday, April 16, 2015

Journal: The Incomplete Manifesto for Growth


Bruce Mau (born October 25, 1959) is a Canadian designer. From 1985-2010, Mau was the creative director of Bruce Mau Design (BMD), and the founder of the Institute without Boundaries. In 2010 Mau went on to establish The Massive Change Network in Chicago. He started as a graphic designer but later veered his career towards the worlds of architecture, art, museums, film, eco-environmental design, and conceptual philosophy. 

I thought it was only fitting for me to choose this mantra:

"Stay up late. Strange things happen when you’ve gone too far, been up too long, worked too hard, and you’re separated from the rest of the world."

Considering the fact that it's about 2 AM and I'm working on design, this mantra spoke to me. I definitely agree with this mantra. There's been many times where I'm pretty out of it, yet somehow, I create some great work when I'm running on fumes. It's almost like I'm in a completely different world, and I just zone right out of everything else happening around me. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of times when I design something awful when it's late, but there have also been times when I've done some great work. Plus, are you really a designer if you don't stay up late?

No comments:

Post a Comment