Thursday, March 12, 2015

Journal Entry 1: TM Research Archive

 

All three of these covers were created by Jean-Pierre Graber. Graber follows the swiss graphic design style. He is a teacher and was also an editorial collaborator, later on chief editor, of the Typografische Monatsblatter. 


All three of these covers seem so experimental and fun to me, that's why I found them so visually appealing. I love how the first one experiments using Univers and also a bit of hand created type. I think the mixture of those two things are definitely interesting. The second one is a little trippy to look at it, but that's what makes it so cool! I love how all the bright colors start to blend together after looking at it for a few seconds. It feels like the type is literally popping out and grabbing you. It's in your face, but not too much. The third one is also interesting to me. The combination of all those typefaces somehow works. It's nice to see a lot of variety and contrast in letterforms. It feels like a breath of fresh air to see so many typefaces working well together. 



These covers were created by Felix Burman. Burman was also a swiss graphic designer, which shows throughout his work. He studied at the Schule fur Gestaltung Basel, lived and worked in Israel, an then worked for Gernster, Gerdinger + Kutter. What I love the most about the first cover is the color. The color makes it very vibrant, and it compliments the simple text very well. I was immediately drawn to these cover because the cool just popped out at me and grabbed my attention. What can I say, I'm a sucker for vibrant colors! The type is also beautifully laid out, and put together in a nice, organized way. The second cover also has a nice color combination. The grey and red really work together in a harmonious way. What drew me to this cover was, of course, the colors, but also the way the text is arranged in the middle. It feels very organic and comforting to see text used that way. 





















This cover was created by Gregory Vines. Vines was an American graphic designer, and he studied at the Massachusets College of Art. Later on, he wen tot the Schule fur Gastaltung Baswel where he taught. There is some nice contrast in this cover. It feels like the cover is cut in half (diagonally), and on one side it is very vectorized while on the other side it feels very photographic. I think that's what makes this cover so interesting. The juxtaposition between vector and photography works well here. Not to mention, the bold black lines that make up the sun are quite striking and bold.


These cover were created by Max Caflisch. Caflisch was, once again, another swiss type designer. He was also a teacher, who was head of the graphics department, at the Schule fur Gestaltung Zurich. He was also working as a type design consultant for several companies, such as IBM and Adobe, while teaching. What I love about the first poster is, again, the combination of colors. I've always found it hard to find a nice color that white and black can both work well together on. That bright green was a good choice because both white and black are extremely legible on top of it. There is a nice energizing feel to the cover. I also love the contrast between the different directions that the two chunks of type are going. The second cover does a nice job of hierarchy. What captured my attention first, was the big, vibrant letterforms in the middle. My eye knew exactly where to go and how to work around the cover in an organized way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment